With land use law, it’s usually the law, not the facts, that are at issue. I enjoy working through the complexities of ordinances and making arguments that help my clients achieve their desired outcome.
John’s introduction to the practice of land use law was during a law school internship at Murray Plumb & Murray with John Bannon as his mentor. The experience opened his eyes to the intricacies of legal issues pertaining to land in Maine. It also created a bond that led him to join the firm in 2001, where he is now a partner with expertise in an extensive scope of land use law representing a diverse range of clients.
In the course of his practice, John represents abutters, developers, and towns in connection with all land use issues, from shoreland zoning, to Department of Environmental Protection regulations, to subdivision concerns. He has represented developers seeking subdivision, site plan, building permit and other approvals; landowners challenging proposed abutting development or rezoning, as well as those seeking tax abatements; and, towns seeking zoning, subdivision and other land use advice. John’s practice also focuses on more general disputes involving land and roads, both public and private.
John has extensive experience addressing zoning, subdivision, and other similar issues before Maine’s Land Use Regulation Commission and presenting arguments before planning and zoning boards, as well as the Superior Court and Law Court. A member of the Maine State, Cumberland County and American Bar Associations, John also is the president of the Board of Directors of Habitat for Humanity of Greater Portland. He lives with his wife and daughter in the Deering Center neighborhood in Portland.
- University of Maine School of Law, J.D., summa cum laude
- Old Dominion University, M.A.
- Middlebury College, A.B.
- Editor-in-Chief, Maine Law Review
- Hon. Daniel E. Wathen, Chief Justice, Maine Supreme Judicial Court
- Hon. Kermit V. Lipez, Judge, U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maine
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
Affiliations & Recognition
- Cumberland County Bar Association
- Maine State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- President, Board of Directors, Habitat for Humanity of Greater Portland